Saturday, January 19, 2013

Aspire with Intent

As I've stumbled my way through the New Year, sick and exhausted for the better part of it, I've been thinking.  My days have been, for the most part, compromised by my complete lack of energy, and in that stupor I have far too much time on my hands to sit idle.  My mind wanders and my thoughts run loose and undisciplined, not unlike two feral five year olds who also occupy this mountaintop. 

When I called my doctor last week for my blood test results she said I was right on the line to being admitted to the hospital.  Secretly, I hoped that she would admit me.  Even though I hate the hospital and all that it entails, by mid-week I would have considered puss faced nurses a welcomed relief to the ADHD antics of the feral duo.  In my mind I imagined laying in a bed with clean white sheets and complete silence.  Maybe then I thought, I would complete a single thought.  Or just sleep.  I imagined that I would choke down the bad food with a smile on my face and pretend I was in a country club for paid members only.  I imagined that I would forget all about the mountaintop, for just a day or two, and then come back feeling like my peppy self.

Instead, my doctor told me to come in next week for another blood test and to keep taking my medicine in the mean time.  Without saying so, she told me to  ride it out on the mountaintop with foggy thoughts and too much idle time on my hands while balancing feral five year olds.

Idle time........Time to think.  Time to do nothing.  Time to look out the window at all of the wonderfulness and beauty that surrounds us, even if the view is hazy right now, it is still so clear how happy we are.  I think about last year and its struggles and this coming year and our plans for it.  And it feels a little bit like the New Year is a new moon and the night sky has reset itself.  It feels like we made it over the hump and there is a new and exciting horizon. 

We've come to this place, our mountaintop, and we've overcome the most difficult parts of it.  We survived hauling water and living on top of each other.  Shared beds and no time alone.  No hot showers for months on end made public creek bathing a treat, even if we still do prefer to do it in private.  We've cut out a place up here that is ours and ours alone.  A place not intruded on by the outside world or the past.  Now ~ it's just us.  Just this time.  Just these moments.  Just our future.  Even if mountaintop lessons are hard, she faithfully and lovingly provides a soft place to fall. 

I think about our future and then I think about our dreams.  Gardens, canning, chicken coop, fencing, gravel, finishing My Mans office, a cord wood trial building, wood for next winter cut and split before the cold returns, and hot summer afternoons at the creek laughing and playing....a homesteader is never short on dreams.  I wonder if when spring comes it if will all still be so clear?  I wonder if the view will still be so beautiful and my drive so high?

I think about a blank wall in our bedroom that is impossible to do anything with because there is so much traffic by it.  And then I think about making it a cork board of everything we want to do this year.  A collage of ideas and plans.  A daily reminder of what our vision is.  A tangible manifestation of our goals and the source of inspiration to achieve them.  And then I think I should make it, and I should name it.......

Aspire with Intent.  And then I know that those three words are my words for this year.  And I think that we can make it happen.  I think that I can hold this beautiful view forever and that we can keep moving forward and making progress.  The mountaintop is a transforming place.  Its busy days lull into a clear night sky filled with sounds of distant animals, and late at night, after the house is asleep, I can sit outside and look upwards and see a million bright stars that all shine down and remind me that these are the best days of my life.  And if all of that isn't perfect enough - now I get to do it while listening to Into the Mystic, by Van Morrison, on our new iPod about five times in a row and on full volume while dreaming about my beautiful man and our love. 

And so this is the year of aspiring with intent, and just as soon as I'm feeling better I'm going to get out the paint and make that blank wall in our bedroom the source of our inspiration.


13 comments:

  1. I've never been able to sleep much in hospitals. They keep waking me up to give me sleeping pills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol.....I just hate hospitals in general, and having ten kids I've spent plently of time in them...yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you are planning, I think that is half the fun. And I love your words for the year :) Can't wait to see that wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too....it will be great to wake up to every morning, right after I get done taking in the wee ones in bed with me and the view out the window:)

      Delete
  4. We are both sick this week, and I am afraid you are more gracious and philosophical about it than I. I hope you get well soon and can see a clear path to achieving your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm sorry to hear that you are sick too. I feel better today than I have in the last week and a half or two...so maybe I am almost ALL better for real now. I hope. And I hope you are better soon. Well wished to you, my friend.

      Delete
  5. What an inspiring post. So sorry you've been sick, but you've used it well and spent the time sorting out and getting a new look at your life.

    I've always thought that I needed a way to do a "defrag" like I do on my computer memory to reset it and make it work more efficiently. That's what you've done. Stopped long enough to take a look at your life and start over more efficiently. Love the new saying, may you spend this year with all the great love intact, AND with a new direction. Happy New Year. Hope you get well soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is a bad year, sickness wise. Everyone is fighting it. You take care of yourself and work hard at not working! The better you rest the quicker you will be feeling better. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. M...I LOVE the way you spell relief! Same way I do! So glad you are feeling better!
    vg

    ReplyDelete