Monday, January 14, 2013

My View From the Couch

Life as a sick person can be an eye opening experience.  I'm not used to being down and out for days at a time, but honestly, it gives a person a new view of the same old world.  At times it is a hazy world, but over all it's pretty euphoric, too.  I should add here that I did not fill the prescription for cough syrup with codeine in it...the pharmacy wanted $28.54 for that one, so I told them they could keep their overpriced cough syrup figuring it was only for my comfort and not for any actual curing function and therefore not necessary.  My only point to that is that my current meds are all of the non-narcotic family, so I know my euphoria is genuine and not drug induced.

So, I've spent the better part of three days sitting on our couch, and in that time I've watched five year olds that have been cooped up in the house for way too long bounce off the walls and older kids pull together to fill in where I've left off.  Dinners, they've been made in a team effort by all the kids.  Homemade pizza, chicken burritos, fried chicken and mashed potato's, cheeseburgers.  Even The Rose helps.  She is our official can opener.  Lord help the person in this house that opens a can of corn or tomato paste without giving that girl an opportunity at it first.  She diligently twists and turns the rusty crank on the can opener with everything she's got until she finally gets the darn can opened, and then she gets a pot and dumps the can, all smiles and satisfied.  And then I listen to her tell me yet again that I need to buy her a newer and better can opener.  It's funny to me, to listen to my six year old complain about kitchen appliances that need replacing.  She gets so serious, because to her - opening cans is serious business.  It's her (self appointed) job and she wants a job so that she can feel as much a contributor as anyone else.  She feels needed when we call for her......Rose!  Where is Rose? And then she comes running wanting to know what is going on.  I need you to open two cans of corn, one of us will say, and then she smiles and runs to the drawer with the can opener in it, goes to the cabinet with the corn, gets it all set up at the table and gets to work on the important and serious business of opening cans.  It's just too cute to watch, and to watch it from the couch instead of from in front of the stove is pretty sweet. 

From the couch I watch the better part of ten kids fall into place and take on the roles that are their known and familiar strengths.....they already know who does what....they know who will grate the cheese, make the sauce, roll the dough.  They already know who peels potatoes and who mashes them.  They know from helping and doing on all the days that I'm not sick.  We didn't teach them these things so that we could sit and watch.  We taught them these things so that they would know how to provide for themselves, and because little kids want to help, like The Rose, and if you let them they grow up feeling good about doing and helping and then they grow into bigger and bigger roles of helpfulness. 

Today, when My Man took me back to the doctor Columbus volunteered that when they were done with their school work he would get the other boys together and they would go cut wood for the fire because our supply was running low and it is getting cold again.  We didn't even have to ask him - he just knew.  He knew what needed to be done and he did it.  And the other boys didn't groan or argue about it because they know too. 

The girls watch Baby Man even though they would rather be something else.  They even took him to their room one night for a sleepover so that I could have a decent nights sleep.

This view from my couch, it is an amazing thing.  For three days I've sat and watched these children of ours pull together and do what needs to be done without grumbling or feeling sorry for themselves.  I've watched them show the kind of care and selflessness that is love, and in watching that I yet again see how very blessed we are.  So maybe there are moments that my view is obstructed by a half naked five year old bouncing from the couch to the ottoman, but I have hope for those two feral five year olds.  If we managed to tamed eight of our other kids, surly we should be able to tame those two.  Today, when I told one of them to stop bouncing for the millionth time he replied that I needed to get him a trampoline to bounce on.  I didn't say it, but I thought maybe I just shouldn't feed him so much so that he might have less energy! 

This whole post might be entirely random, even if I am not on narcotics I am feeling rather foggy and am typing this out against my better judgement.  It seems that connecting thoughts takes way more energy that I have right now, but its been a few days and so I wanted to post something.

19 comments:

  1. Baring being ill, you are so lucky. Actually, you taught them, so they are lucky to have been taught so well.

    That Rose needs a new can opener!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda :) They teach us a lot too...it's good like that around here.

      I hadn't bought a new one because the cheap ones from Walmart don't hold up. They seriously don't work after the first or second time we use them on a #10 size can, so there's no point and I didn't know where to get a better one locally, but the Saint has one in the mail to her now, so she will be a happy girl very soon. I think I'll have to lock up the canned good or she might go through with her new can opener and open all the cans just to use it...lol.

      Delete
  2. i second Linda...Rose needs a new can opener. those feral 5yr olds need a trampoline! i think you should count yourself lucky that you managed to tame 8 children and just get over the feral two - bahahahahahah!

    is your throat still sore? are you sipping honey and lemon tea? also a spoon full of honey with a sprinkle of cinnamon 3 times a day will help a sore throat. take care of yourself and get as much rest as you need....those gorgeous kids will keep everything running and will not let you down. except for the feral two...but what do you expect...they're feral right? bahahahahahah!

    get well hon. lots of love to you and all of yours! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid of what those two would do with any more bounce than they already have...a trampoline might leave them toothless and in casts, but that would slow them down for bit, eh??...lol. Maybe you are right - I should consider the eight tamed kids good and just let these two go and see what happens.

      It's not my throat...I'm just really drained, like really NO energy. I'm tired and my head is foggy...it really does take a lot to focus a thought right now, but today I am feeling much, much better. So weird...I've never felt like this before - it really is yucky stuff.

      I hope that you and your man are enjoying your day...lots of love to both of you :)
      Michele

      Delete
  3. So glad to hear they are stepping up :) It's definitely something to smile about, and be proud of, the way you have raised your beautiful family. I have the sickies here too, and the boys didn't do too badly yesterday. Praying you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you feel better soon, too. It's so not fun to be mom and be sick and have to worry about the house and meals, so it's nice when there is a backup and we can rest a bit.

      Delete
  4. M,

    I love when kids take the initiative to take care of a sick parent, and his/her younger siblings. You have taught your children well by having them work with you and hubby through the growing up process on the mountain.

    Sending (((((hugs)))))to you and the family, feel well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. They really have been so great...they even made my bed for me...aww!!

      Hugs back to you :) xx

      Delete
  5. I totally believe that the very most important thing any parent can teach their kids is how to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you are right....life is always work, even when you are not "working" you are working. That's just the way it is when you grow up and they might as well figure that out and make peace with it now.

      Delete
  6. I'm home playing Mr Mom today handeling 8&10 yr with the flu
    treating them with protocals found at doctoryourself.com.
    I hope this is helpfull.
    Mike
    fxitbos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope that your kids get to feeling better soon.....take care :)

      Delete
  7. I hope you're feeling better soon! Your story of Rose reminded me of when #1 was about 3ish, and always underfoot. He used to like to help me clean, except he wasn't really terribly 'helpful', lol. Then one day I was cleaning the fridge and he wanted to help. I handed him a cloth and told him to wipe out the sticky ick at the bottom while I washed out the crispers. He did an amazing job, and I was really proud of him. He took that on as his job afterwards, everytime I cleaned the fridge, he wiped out the inside and the bottom. Then he went to kindergarten. He came home from school one day and discovered that I had cleaned the fridge without him. He was sooo mad! lol. I made sure he was home for fridge cleaning after that though. A couple years later the magic wore off, but it sure was cute at the time!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an awesome story...I love it, and YES, that is exactly like Rose!!!They are so sweet when they want to help so bad, and they try SO hard to really be of help...they are past the point of "kind of" helping and REALLY want to do something to contribute. Six is a fun age...when they're not busy already knwoing it all...lol.

      Delete
  8. I hope you feel better soon. Don't rush it, let your body heal. Such great kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I feel SO much better today, but I've had several people tell me to give it a couple of extra days after I feel better so that I don't get it again, and even wrose the second time, so I am taking that advice....I'm just glad that I can since the kids are doing such a great job holding it all together!

      Delete
  9. I love your posts, whether you are in a fog or whatever! haha. You just seem like a person I would love to know. I hope your'e feeling better. But, I think it sounds like your great kids have it alllllll under control, so why not milk it a day or two longer. You deserve it! :) Have a great day, it sounds like you view is one to behold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...I really didn't think I should be writng. I thought of so many great things to say and then when I went to write it I kept getting lost...this post was my 2nd attempt...lol...oh well, like I said it had been a few days so something was better than nothing, I hope...lol.

      Normally there is no way I would milk being sick. I just can't stand to be down and sit like that, but I seriously just don't have much energy even now that I am feeling better, so hell yeah....I'm going to milk it for a few more days....lol.

      You have a great day, too!

      Delete
  10. We, too, taught our kids by example in the kitchen, the home and the yard to be self sufficient. One of the kids called on his [or her? can't remember] first week of college and exclaimed "Mom you just wouldn't believe the kids here who don't know how to do laundry. They can't even run the machines or sort clothes!" And this learning began way before I ever took ill and now it is such a blessing in disguise for me. We had certain rules [like - they could cook on the stop top once they were tall enough to touch the wall behind the stove - arbitrary, but it worked, no burns, no spilled pots] and to this day both the boys and the girls can do anything Pooldad or I can do. The only one at home now, Wallene has two specific chores a week, but is always there for anything else and it's nice to get a break once and a while, especially for her Dad who has taken on much of slack these past 4 years.
    I still get call, weekly it feels like, for the exact order of a recipe or a "Mom what am I forgetting in this dish" questions or what's a good stain remover again? So it is nice to be needed like that, but I have no fear that they can't take care of themselves - any of them - I just pray that they find compatible mates that were raised with the same skills and share the load, so to speak.
    I am so sorry to hear you are [were?] sick. This flu is a bugger. And from what I understand when you are down, you are DOWN. Glad that the kids are there, especially that they pick up the Momness [like goodness but with more MOM!] while you are laid up. I bet their fried chicken is something to behold. Made my mouth water. [One of the first things I taught the kids to make because I love it, they love it, but I don't always feel like making it on request. heehee]
    And Rose is the cutest. She wants to be a big girl, eh? It's nice she wants to help and I like the job of official can opener. Going to have to find her a snazzy number that will be hard working for years to come. The official Rose Opener I think.

    If you aren't already up and about - I will keep you in my prayers that you are feeling better soon. With the kids doing such a spectacular job you make just be able to sneak one more day of recuperation masked as still a little sick, right? ::wink:: Then again, I know, without a doubt that you are just like me and the rest - you are aching to get off that couch and do this, that and the other, because even thought our kids do a wonderful job, we always want to put our touch on things. Am I right? heehee
    Take care my friend. Much love xoxo Skip

    ReplyDelete