Friday, January 25, 2013

Not My Grandmother's Garden



Actually, neither one of my grandmother's really gardened much.  One of them hated the outdoors.  A good day gardening to her was probably sitting in a chair while she watched her housekeeper dust a silk plant.

My other grandmother lived in a trailer park in San Diego for most of her life.  She had a five foot strip of grass that ran along the side of her old mobile home and a small patch of earth in the back.  She did have a lemon tree that she loved, and she usually kept a few tomato and bean plants.

I imagine that if she could have, she would have had a farm like this one. 
I can see her and I in the little farmhouse kitchen.  She would be force feeding me homemade lemon cookies and cabbage rolls while she stood at the stove cussing like a sailor and telling me stories some forty years old that I'd already heard a million times.  And between chewing and trying to change the conversation to more current topics; I'd think how much I love her.

But onto today......

This year I am finally getting to start our garden with open pollinated, GMO free seeds.  I am beyond excited, as this has been a dream of mine for a couple of years now.

We have the survival seed vault that includes twenty varieties of heirloom seeds, the culinary herb garden and the medicinal herb garden.

And to help manage our garden this year I got Mother Earth News garden planner.  This program will allow me to plan out my garden, plus it tells me when to sow my seeds indoors or out, frost dates, harvest dates, and even keeps track of it all for five years to help me with rotation planting.

Several months ago I scored a seed saving book at Goodwill that had been on my wish list for a couple of years.  I snatched it up for $2.99 and hoped that one day I would have the seeds to go with it.


It's going to be a busy spring with lots of learning to do, but it's all so fun and exciting.  I'm definitely going for a quality over quantity garden this year.  I really want to know what I am doing and do it well before I worry about going big.  Now, I'm just sitting here waiting for warmer weather to hurry up and get here:)

21 comments:

  1. Gardening to me is going through the produce section of the grocery store. Judy grows a few things but that is her doings. I blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. I'm cheering for you from your other grandma's place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing your own vegetables, fruits, and herbs in a garden is so relaxing and beneficial. The end result, fresh food that doesn't have any chemicals and is healthy for the family.

    Score, finding the book you've wanted at the Goodwill Store instead of a book store. Where of course it would have cost you an arm and a leg.

    Like you, I can't wait to get my garden going this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to grow our own food, and being a California kid I love my FRESH veggies.

      The book was a huge score....I was so happy when I found it:)

      Spring can't come soon enough....we're starting to get cabin fever up here on the mountaintop!!

      Delete
  4. YAY! I have been gardening for a few years now and each year about this time the excitment takes me over as I begin planning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a garden for years too, just never with the open/GMO free seeds. It will be interesting to try them out.

      Delete
  5. Good for you. Because produce prices are about spike significantly. especially lettuce.

    I get most of my books from goodwill. And scored some like new disney dvds there once for 1.00.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prices here are already high, imo, and the quality seems to be less and less. The last time I went to buy onions they were all rotten, at TWO stores....that's pretty bad because onions should last a LONG time.

      Delete
  6. I'm with coffeepot....produce section or can goods. For hobby, I might plant me a mater or two and go with that. Maybe a watermelon in the privy....something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blah to canned veggies....I ENJOY fresh and only eat canned if I HAVE to. Watermelon in the privy? Isn't a privy a bathroom??

      Delete
  7. where did you get your seeds? Looks like we might not get to garden this year because we are moving sometime this spring when hubby's back heals from Florida to South Dakota.

    Jill @ horrh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are from Patriot Seed Supply. I hope that your husband heals well and that you do get to plant a garden - maybe you will get moved in time to get one in.

      Delete
  8. The main thing to remember or learn about gardening is that there are hundreds of "right" ways to do it. In the last four or five decades of gardening I have tried something new almost every year. If it works great, I keep on doing it that way, if not then forget it and try something else. Don't let anyone try to tell you that their way is the only and best way to do it. Whatever works for you is the best way. Just pay attention to the plants and let them "tell" you. If they are happy then what you are doing is the correct way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a garden for years, just never with the open seeds. It seems there are factors involved with them that you don't have to worry about with regular seeds - like cross pollination. It's that type of stuff that is all new to me. But I hear what you are saying about what works and what doesn't and all the advice....sounds a lot like raising kids...lol. Good luck with your garden this year:)

      Delete
  9. I have a friend that gardens and collects seeds from each plant and store them. Then he trades them or offers them when he has lots. Are there seed traders? I have no idea. I know I collected seeds (pods actually) from my poppies. I was breaking them down and spreading them in the garden but then got way too many. I put them in a rubbermaid but have no idea how long they last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are places online just for trading seeds.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that book. I got it last year and it has changed our gardening lives! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard nothing but good about it - glad to hear the same from you :) Happy gardening this spring!

      Delete