Friday, January 25, 2013

Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen

It was one of those moments when you stand there, slack jawed and with a stupid look on your face, when My Man returned from under the mobile and informed us that there was an entire section of pipes that had not been insulated.  How'd that happen, I asked to a silent response, as though it was a rhetorical question.

And then I started remembering back to when we put in the new insulation.  First, it was the kids and I.  Next, My Man and the boys worked on the pipes.  And lastly, Columbus finished up.  Aw, I said, too many cooks in the kitchen.

Such a silly mistake to cause two days of trouble and inconvenience.  These things happen.  I'm just glad that the pipes are now insulated and that despite freezing temperatures we woke up to hot running water this morning. 

I don't normally respond to comments in my blog posts, but so many of you asked questions and offered advice that I wanted to address some of them.

The difference between our neighbors and us is that they are actually just lucky enough to have a plentiful amount of water, or springs even, right on their property.  We don't.  We paid a professional well digger to come out and even he was iffy about us getting any water at all.  We took our chances and got what we got - and we're very grateful for what we do have.   

We are not losing water to the neighbors - they are too far away.  Our well is only a little over a year old and works as it has since we started using it - it is simply a slow producing well.  I don't really believe that there is some magic answer that we are missing, though at times it feels like it.  Comparing ourselves to our neighbors is the last thing I should be doing.  Really, I have no idea what their water system is, just that they get plenty of water.  I imagine if I spent a day or two over at their house I would see first hand how imperfect their system is and watch them trouble shoot it, and at times frustratingly so, just as we do ours.  And if while I was there they didn't have problems with their water system, I'd be watching them deal with living their life without any power.  Either way, I'd leave with a new found appreciation for what we do have and a little more respect towards them for having a pioneering spirit, because that's what this mountaintop life is all about.

The thing is, we started living on raw land.  Now, stop and think about that for a minute.  Raw....there was nothing here.  Nothing.  And we started over from pretty much just that - nothing.  It takes time, money, and a whole lot of trial and error to make it all work.  Our current water system is what my father calls a band aid.  We got moved into our new mobile right before winter set in and we had several other projects going on.  It was up to us to prioritize all of those projects and we decided that this water system would be good enough to get us through until spring when we could hook up a much larger holding tank directly to the well with a bigger pump. 

There was no way for us to foresee clogging issues, that are for the most part now fixed, and I only say for the most part because we haven't actually had the strainer on long enough to know that all of the clogs have stopped for sure, but so far they have.  Or three power supply failures.  Or the mistake of not getting all of the pipes insulated.  Like I said; these things happen

This whole mountaintop life is an adventure.  It's about trial and error and learning along the way.  Some lessons are easier than others.  Some days, there are just small things day after day and then they catch up and feel like one big thing.  Other days are simply euphoric and everything feels just right.  Any life is like that, that I know of, anyway.  I make no apologies for sharing any of those days, or the days between them, here on my blog.  As far as I'm concerned ~ that's what it's here for.